Gail's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Jul 10, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction
Read in July, 2010

What a page-turner. I don't delve into the genre of crime/mystery all that often but this series has gotten so much buzz I couldn't resist.

Perfect paperbacks to tuck into our suitcase for our vacation, I found myself reading this one at every chance I could (plane/train/automobile). For the uninitiated, the book follows journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the troubled, tattooed hacker, Lisbeth Salander. The storyline is chaotic, involving corruption, intrigue, murder (in the form of a sadistic serial killer) and violence against women (the book's Swedish title apparently translated to "Men Who Hate Women", or so sayeth Wikipedia).

If you don't know it already, this first (of 3) in Stieg Larsson's series is about to become Hollywood gold. There is a Swedish version of the film (which I'm interested in seeing), but it'll be the American version that has people in our country who haven't read the book already trying to find out what happens next in the series. I know I'm ready. Thank goodness I've got the second in my suitcase!

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex I read the last half of that book in one day. Quite addictive.

Gail Agreed. I tore into the second on this trip (we're in Europe) and finished it on the flight to Dublin. While we were here, I had to break down and buy the third in its UK-printed paperback edition. I have to have something to read for this 8-hr flight home today and I couldn't stop with that series at just Book 2 (wait 'til the end of it, it's QUITE the cliffhanger!)