Rebecca's Reviews > Thud!

Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Jul 11, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from July 10 to 11, 2010, read count: 1

In all of the "Are you an [X:] or a [Y:]?" questions that have ever been debated, I would suggest that the only one that truly matters is, "Would you rather follow Vimes or Vetinari?" And while I definitely like (if that's even the right word for such a man) Vetinari, in my heart I'm a true Vimes follower, and I was thrilled to a find a new book (well, new to me, I hadn't seen it before at the library) focusing on him. It seems like Pratchett has been trying to visit a lot of the other parts of Discworld in his recent books, but none of them ever satisfy me like running around with the Watch of Ankh-Morpork. The added pleasure of seeing Vimes interacting with his son is really a joy, although there are so many new faces on the Watch that it splits attention from old favorites.

Seeing Vimes go head first against politics and try to beat it into submission is always a treat. At least he didn't arrest any world leaders this time. (Spoiler?) The only real nitpick I had about the book is that I got a little confused on what was going on at the end, but I think I may just have been reading it too fast for everything to sink in.

Also, the next time you're bored or depressed, picture King Leonidas screaming "That! Is!! Not!!! My!!! Cow!!!!!", and you will giggle somewhat hysterically to yourself for at least five minutes. (Note: Do not do this in church, in court, or during meetings. It ends badly.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thud!.