Joan's Reviews > 206 Bones:

206 Bones by Kathy Reichs

Jul 17, 10

Read from July 10 to 17, 2010

This is not actually the version that I'm listening to, but it seems that the Recorded Books edition isn't a choice.

I've watched Bones on TV and thought it might be interesting to see if the books sited by the TV show were similar. At least this one (#12) is not. But, that is OK. The plot kept my interest, but wasn't so complicated that I couldn't pick it up and put it down - as audio books in the car must tolerate. The characters (with the exception of Temperance) are completely different than the TV show. Even Temperance is a different character than on TV. She seems more connected to other people; more 'normal'. The plot proceeds with quite a few side bars or dialogue to provide explanation of the medical or forensic terms, which I found interesting.

In this story, Temperance has to travel from Montreal to Chicago with Ryan, a former beau, who is also a detective to deliver the remains of a woman whose body was discovered 30 months after she disappeared from a country hotel. While there, she finds out that a complaint has been received by the family of the deceased that the cause of death was not properly ascribed. More cases come into the Temperance's office, but in each case, some problem in resolving the case arises. Spliced between this 1st person narrative is a second narrative, also told by Temperance, occurring in the present, describing her waking in a dark cold place with her hands and feet tied together. The reader shares Temperance's confusion and lack of understanding about what is happening.

The reader (Barbara Rosenblat) pronounces the French words reasonably and I very much appreciate 'kay-bec'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 206 Bones.