Salome G's Reviews > Lo's Diary

Lo's Diary by Pia Pera

Apr 03, 12

did not like it

It starts with a foreword, which like Lolita is "written" by John Ray. He relates how Lo came to him with the diary and when she gave it to him, she said it was "definitely less literary" than Lolita. Beware the book that can't get through the foreword without apologizing.

Then there's the renaming. Ramsdale. A lovely name, denotes force. In Pera's world it becomes the not at all poetic Goatscreek. Pardon? Miss D. Haze becomes Miss D. Maze. Clare Quilty suffers the worst as he is transformed into--wait for it--Gerry Sue Filthy. It's like Lolita via Alfred E. Neuman.

The characterization is ridiculous and sad. Pera wants to believe that little Lo is smart enough to use words like lugubrious in regular conversation but too dumb to figure out that Professor Guibert is using the most basic manipulation to hamstring her. I've heard tell that LD is supposed to be a feminist response [to Lolita] and I hope that was a mistaken claim. The Lo of this book is a racist who in one unfortunately memorable scene tortures her pet hamster. Let's not even get into what she does to Humbert with a fountain pen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lo's Diary.

message 1: by Loveliest (new)

Loveliest Evaris I'm curious. What did she do with the fountain pen? O_O

message 2: by Salome (last edited Apr 03, 2012 07:28PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Salome G Talyn wrote: "I'm curious. What did she do with the fountain pen? O_O"

Oh Lordy, it took me a second to remember. While he is passed out, she, uh, sticks it (and apparently other things, now that I recheck the book) where the sun fails to shine.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Laura deLuna the hamster thing disgusted me. I stopped reading after the funeral. I just couldn't stand the idea of it. yuck. pia turned sweet Lo into a serial killer.

Salome G The hamster part was awful!