Dwayne's Reviews > Desires of the Dead

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Mar 16, 11

Read from February 16 to 18, 2011

Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf.

So I have been waiting forever for this book - since, admittedly, The Body Finder is my favourite debut of 2010 and Jay and Violet ranks as one of my favourite YA couples. The Verdict? Definitely on the good side.

Again, Kimberly Derting manages to deliver the perfect blend of mystery and romance. As in every sequel, Desires of the Dead narrates the continuation - including the repercussions - of everything that occurred in The Body Finder. Violet's abilities continues to 'haunt' her. This time, her actions lead a powerful government organisation to her (the FBI no less). Simultaneously, she endangers herself once again, the compulsion to answer to the echoes of the dead pulling her towards peril. At the same time, she and Jay becomes closer, more intimate in their relationship and as with any couple, they must face the trials and tribulations that land in their path.

I love how everything fits together in Desires of the Dead - recurring and new characters play intercolliding roles, how the new plot and mystery blossoms, and how - without neglecting the thrilling ride that is the plot - the romance is carried out. Kimberly's writing is superb and fits in just as perfectly as the rest.

Let me say this - the romance was amazing. I reveled in Jay and Violet's love - sweet, intimate and deep feelings anchor this two to each other, and it made me melt! There is a lot of adjustment to Violet in their platonic-to-romantic relationship. Although very much in love with Jay, there is a lot of adjustments made from him being Violet's BFF to boyfriend. It was very well played out. I would have been extremely happy if Desires of the Dead was only purely romance! At the same time, a new character lurking in the shadows will clearly return in succeeding books to make it even more exciting for everyone involved! Caution, to those expecting a lot of jealousy from Violety with regards to Jay's closeness with Mike - there's hardly any conflict in this. The blurb is slightly misleading here, but no worries, it'll make up for it!

Despite the slightly predictable outcome, it was still a thrill following Violet's brushes with the authorities, the new students in school, and the danger that seems to stalk her. The plot was constructed well, with hints and clues that lead you to one person while suspecting the other. And again, as with The Body Finder, we get a glimpse into the very emotional POV of the 'villain', feeding a very different aura to the book.

Although it was saddening to reach the last pages of a book I have waited a year to read, Desires of the Dead definitely lifted my spirits in that I'm pretty certain there will be more books to follow. It's once again exciting and patience-wearing to wait for the next installment in Violet and Jay's story! I am very much looking forward to what Kimberly Derting has in line for these two!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desires of the Dead.

02/16/2011 page 72