Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Identity Crisis

Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer

Jul 10, 2010

liked it

This is not your typical super hero saves the day comic. It is not based on the big name heroes and I am not really sure the day is saved. Despite that, or maybe because of it, this graphics novel has been widely popular and critically acclaimed.

The story is written by Brad Meltzer, who I believe writes mystery novels. He brings flavor over to this comic. The comic is a ‘Whodunit’ at its core. Sure there are super powered beings in it, but it shows a more human side to them. They feel pain, they have dark secrets and they tell lies. Meltzer does an excellent job of painting a real and emotional face on these chiseled jaws and hourglass figures.

The art fits the story like a glove. Sure everyone has a perfect body, but there is some reality in the mix. This is especially true in the faces. Emotions are captured in sadly beautiful perfection.

But this is a mystery novel and everything besides the reveal is just fluff. So was the reveal worth it? It didn’t wow me. It tied up nicely and fit in well with the tone of the storytelling. I think I was just looking for some grand, evil scheme. However the book wanted to show us that we are all just human, even if we are Superman.

Book Rating: 3/5
Book Received From: Personal Purchase
Reviewer: Wally

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Identity Crisis.