Jessica's Reviews > Deception

Deception by Lee Nichols

Aug 11, 10

bookshelves: i-own, read-in-2010
Read from July 10 to 11, 2010

I must say that I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this book. The book starts with Emma who is living life alone after her parents leave for a business trip. At first she is thrilled to have this opportunity to have fun and enjoy the silence but after a while Emma begins to get worried that they may not be coming back. Then once she begins having visions, she wonders if she is completely losing her mind.

Soon social services is notified that Emma is alone and she realizes she may be in for a rough few months, until her hero (and brothers ex-best friend) Bennett arrives just in time to save the day. Now her life turns upside down as they travel to New England to stay in Bennett's museum of a home, where more mystery awaits her arrival.

Thatcher, her new private school, seem to evoke more visions for Emma that she can't understand. Bennett is preoccupied, and all Emma wants is to find out what is wrong with her and why her family seems to have completely disappeared.

Deception had me completely entranced. The plot, the writing, the characters were absolutely spellbinding! As the story continues, each little piece slowly comes together. I immediately loved the story and found the mystery fascinating. The relationship Emma has with Bennett *swoon* is sweet, new, and lovely, even though they seem to butt heads often. Eventually Bennett lets Emma in on the big secret, that they are ghostkeepers. Although this explains a lot for Emma, more questions remain. But according to Bennett he is there to protect her.

Characters: Emma is strong, fascinating, and determined to discover the truth. She is confused by what is going on in her life and is forced to deal with many of her emotions alone. Bennett is cute and sweet but keeps his distance. He is protective and has his own hidden battles. Some of my favorite parts of this book involved the other characters Emma comes across. The people from school, Coby, Harry (hilarious), and Sara. Plus the wonderful "surprise" friends Emma has in the mansion.They bring a lot of humorous situations!

Cover: The cover is cute. That is how I would picture Emma, and even the mansion. Plus the foggy look has significance to the story. But at the same time, I feel this cover isn't good enough for how the story really is. It made me think it was maybe a little younger and not as complex as the story comes across. For me, the story was much better than the cover suggests.

I highly recommend this book. It is a wonderful story full of mystery, secrets, love, friendship, and intriguing characters. I was thrilled to see this is a trilogy. Once you start the journey with Emma in this book, you won't be able to pass up reading book 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Lee Nichols
“All I know is that I'm in love with you,' he said, almost angrily. 'That the sight of you, the scent of you, the sound of your voice - I can't help myself, I can't stop it, I can't think of anything else. You've made me completely useless.”
Lee Nichols, Deception

07/10/2010 page 134
43.0% "very good book!!"
07/10/2010 page 204
66.0% "Awww...I love Coby :)"