Meg's Reviews > The Highly Sensitive Person

The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron

F_50x66
Jul 10, 10

Read on July 09, 2010

3 stars because I found reading this book to be tremendously validating and meaningful, but at the same time I had a lot of criticisms of it. This book describes that percentage of the population whose systems are easily (over)stimulated by sensory information. Wow, do I wish someone had given me this book to read, like, 10 years ago.

The criticisms:
- Wanted more specific techniques and suggestions.

- She's really into how Highly Sensitive People are super important to society and we should all feel so good about how valuable and meaningful our sensitivity is and how much we have to contribute to the world. I found this irritating.

- Not enough material about how to be a parent who's highly sensitive, just one paragraph. I felt like the book really begged the question, as it used the metaphor of taking care of your body's needs as if your body were a baby. So... what about when my ACTUAL baby has needs at the same time?

- She doesn't talk about how to differentiate innate sensitivity from similar symptoms that can develop from trauma. As a therapist, I am curious about this.

- I questioned a lot of her claims (some based on research, some not) about biological traits vs. acquired traits. For example, she goes on at length about how shyness is an acquired trait, unlike sensitivity which is inborn. This didn't make sense to me. Why can't shyness be inborn too?

- She's really into Jung and Jungian analysis. I'm not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Sensitive Person.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lady  ~☆ Alice♪♫ Shyness is inborn. I saw an article about it in Discovery magazine.