Grace Tjan's Reviews > Matilda

Matilda by Roald Dahl

Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: jess-shelf, 2010, bbc-big-reads, ebook
Read in July, 2010

5 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

SPOILERS!

Comments while reading:

"Matilda's parents are sooo stupid!"

"What is a 'used car salesman'?"

"How does putting sawdust and oil in a car's gearbox make it run smoother?"

"The funniest parts are when Miss Trunchbull hurled the kids out of the classroom, and when the newt fell on her."

"How come Miss Trunchbull made Nigel stand with one leg up while facing the wall? That's a weird punishment."

"What?! Miss Honey's wicked aunt is Miss Trunchbull?"

"What is a will?"

"I'm glad that Matilda can live with Miss Honey."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matilda.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

☯Bettie☯ I'm glad she got to live with Miss Honey, too!

message 2: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I've never read this one. Must do something about that!

Rauf How did ya answer question #3? Didja check Wikipedia?

XD

Grace Tjan Rauf wrote: "How did ya answer question #3? Didja check Wikipedia?

XD"

Nope. I just told her I didn't know and referred her to daddy, who is a car enthusiast. He couldn't answer it either. Maybe it's just something Dahl made up? ; )

Rauf If 'twas me I'd just said, Oh everybody knows that.

XD

message 6: by Grace (last edited Jul 10, 2010 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Grace Tjan Rauf wrote: "If 'twas me I'd just said, Oh everybody knows that.

XD"

Nah, she wouldn't have been satisfied with that. She also wanted to know how you could turn back a speedometer. Didn't know that either. This book is surely raising more questions that I'm not prepared to answer. lol

Rauf You open the glass thingy and jigger with the numbers thingy. Everybody knows that.
;D

Your next review, will it be peachy or chocolatey?

message 8: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Jul 10, 2010 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Bettie☯ Turning back the clock involves a vacuum cleaner - same as turning back the gas or leccy meter in a house. Sawdust in the petrol tank bulks out the liquid - makes it show a full tank when it's not.

Grace Tjan Bettie wrote: "Turning back the clock involves a vacuum cleaner - same as turning back the gas or leccy meter in a house. Sawdust in the petrol tank bulks out the liquid - makes it show a full tank when it's not."

Ok. Thanks for explaining that, Bettie. : )

Grace Tjan Rauf wrote: "You open the glass thingy and jigger with the numbers thingy. Everybody knows that.
;D

Your next review, will it be peachy or chocolatey?"

Jess already did the peachy --- she's now in the middle of chocolate.

message 11: by Rauf (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rauf Can't wait to hear whut she thinks of the factory! :)

message 12: by 小刀客 (last edited Jan 05, 2011 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

小刀客 I think I shouldn't have viewed this review when I'm reading the novel in the halfway.
:D

Grace Tjan 小刀客 wrote: "I think I shouldn't have viewed this review when I'm reading the novel in the halfway.
:D"

Oh, sorry. I'll put a spoiler warning.

message 14: by Hayes (last edited Jan 06, 2011 03:07AM) (new)

Hayes Bettie wrote: "Turning back the clock involves a vacuum cleaner - same as turning back the gas or leccy meter in a house. Sawdust in the petrol tank bulks out the liquid - makes it show a full tank when it's not."

I knew Bettie was a good friend to have! Wanna come and fix our meter?

Tell Jess that I just looooove her reviews!

Grace Tjan Hayes wrote: "Bettie wrote: "Turning back the clock involves a vacuum cleaner - same as turning back the gas or leccy meter in a house. Sawdust in the petrol tank bulks out the liquid - makes it show a full ta..."

Jess says thanks to auntie Hayes in Rome. : )

Nandanie I love this book...have you ever see the movie??/ It's just like the book! I laughed until my cheeks hurt and my stomach felt like i overstuffed it...such a smart young girl...I hate her mother thinks of fashion over her own own (adopted) daughter

Grace Tjan Veeney369 wrote: "I love this book...have you ever see the movie??/ It's just like the book! I laughed until my cheeks hurt and my stomach felt like i overstuffed it...such a smart young girl...I hate her mother thi..."

Both I and Jess have seen the movie and enjoyed it, but Jess still likes the book more.

message 18: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara a will is a letter you write before you die to let people know what you give to them, and im not sure about your other question.

message 19: by Nat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nat Bond Yeah. What is a will and I am NOT an expert on cars.

Floyd girls Spoilers?

message 21: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana This is why every parent should read to their kids. It makes them ask questions. I know because my parents read to me.

message 22: by Bethany (new)

Bethany It is so sweet miss honey let Matilda live with her

Layan Jehad I think the best part is when Matilda goes to live with Miss Honey. Nice and happy ending. ;)

Layan Jehad Can you guys just tell me what Spoilers is? I really don't know cuz I just joined Goodreads today.

message 25: by Nat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nat Bond Spoilers are big parts in books or movies where if told, can spoil the whole book.

Layan Jehad Oh, ThanQ a lot Nat Bond. ;)

message 27: by Nat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nat Bond Ur welcome

message 28: by Nat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nat Bond Nice pic

Madelyn How do you get to read it?

Grace Tjan What do you mean? I simply read it to her.

Clara Gee used car salesman normally means someone buys up cars people don't want any more but Matilda father is disonist about it

message 32: by Jaden (new) - rated it 1 star

Jaden I was wondering do you need facebook to read this

Grace Tjan You mean the book? No, you just need to go to a bookstore to buy it or download an ebook version of it. I'm not sure if I understand your question.