Morgan F's Reviews > Devoured

Devoured by Amanda Marrone

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: 2000s, young-adult, fantasy, preston-public-library, myths-retellings, read-2010, its-a-girl, scary, death-and-dying, love-triangle, medium-sized
Recommended for: fans of the Blue is for Nightmares series
Read from July 28 to 29, 2010

Ever since a horrific car accident nine years ago, Megan has been haunted by the ghost of her dead twin sister, Remy. Megan, in an attempt to keep an eye on her boyfriend and his perky best friend, takes up a summer job at the amusement park, Land of Enchantment. On her first day there, Remy comes and gives Megan a horrifying vision. Megan isn't the only one who saw Remy this time, however. Luke, a cute guy who works at the park, is determined to help Megan and get her twin sister to move on. But Remy is becoming more and more insistent and much more terrifying, bringing violent visions of whats to come.

I would not call this book a retelling of Snow White. It's more of a continuation of "what-if". After the prologue, the only references to Snow White come much later in the novel. So I don't really recommend this book if you are looking for a good fairytale.

I didn't enjoy this book too much, but it was different. For me it fluctuated between original, weird, and just plain stupid. The writing is nothing to give a hoot about. Plot-wise, things were uneven. I think the book jumped into the story too fast, took a break, and then finished in a rush.

The characters were thinly developed, but some did manage to surprise me at the end. I didn't like Megan though. She devoted more time to fussing about relationships than in mourning when something horrific happened. She just wasn't very smart. Luke was of the typical love interest fare. He was cute, yet understanding. And terribly, terribly cliched.

I would have to say the tone was overall light, even though there were some pretty gruesome scenes. Not that the reader was given any time to make an emotional connection to the event.

The book wasn't good, but wasn't horrible. I know some people will like it. I wouldn't discourage anyone from picking this up, especially if they were looking for a book to go in between heavier reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devoured.

07/28/2010 page 54
18.0% "It's an odd little book, ain't it?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I really don't know what to do with this book now.

message 2: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks I dismissed this book anyway when I first noticed it anounced somewhere, but your review confirms my believe that there is nothing I will miss.

~Tina~ I have this book sitting on my shelf, I'll have to get to it eventually lol

Morgan F The author is local, so this book is everywhere in my library. I think I might have even met Amanda Marrone once. She looks familiar.

message 5: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I read this book and liked it but it is a light and quick read :)

~Tina~ You know, after reading this I tend to agree with you on most things, but at last, I liked the strangest of it all and it was pretty original.

Morgan F Hmm. It was very daring in some parts, thats for sure. It wasn't afraid to get bloody.