rachel's Reviews > Half World

Half World by Hiromi Goto

Jul 20, 14

bookshelves: ya, asian, 2010, nice-cover, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from July 09 to 14, 2010

Dark Japanese-influenced fantasy is one of my favorite things. When I read that this book dealt with spiritual realms and had a chubby loner for a hero, it was elevated to a MUST READ RIGHT NOW on my list.

The "dark fantasy" part was satisfied beyond my expectations; the characters that Melanie meets in the Half World are truly grotesque and horrifying, and Mr. Glueskin's party trick freaked me the f out. Melanie's initial experiences of the Mirages Hotel are a sensory delight.

The reason I was unengaged for the majority of the book, however, was the lack of character development. There's a disappointing shortage of backstory about Melanie, which I found odd given that the jacket copy emphasizes her chubby lonerdom. The book is also written in a very anime style, with a lot of onomatopoeia and lots of exclamation points! In fact, the whole time I was reading my main thought was that I'd rather see this as an anime film drawn by the amazing Jillian Tamaki than read it as a book.

I was going to give it two stars, but the end was sweet and I enjoyed the secondary cast of animal characters so I bumped it up to a three.

WHERE ARE MY FREAKING PRESENTS?
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half World.

07/13/2010 page 84
07/14/2010 page 133
59.0% "The book is just OK, but WHERE ARE MY FREAKING GIFTS?"
show 1 hidden update…