Misty's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Sep 21, 13

bookshelves: excited-for, juvenile-ya, arc-or-galley, own, signed, series, thanks-ksenia, disappointing-or-excited-for-nothin, read-in-2010, rant
Read from December 03 to 08, 2010

2.5 - 3

"I hate skin; I hate bones and bodies.  I want to curl up inside of him and be carried there forever."

Earlier this year, I fell in love with Lauren Oliver's debut, Before I Fall.  So understandably, I was very excited to hear about her next book, Delirium.  A dystopian world where love is a disease, written by the clearly very talented Oliver?  Yeah, I can get behind that.
Only turns out? Not so much. Reasons why = HERE

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Oh no! No good? I had high hopes for this one.

Misty Me too. I think some people will like it, but I had some real issues.

message 3: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I think a three star is pretty favorable for this review! I don't think I'll be picking it up any time soon...maybe in a few years when the whole series is over and done with. Excellent review as always, Misty.

message 4: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Ah, man...no one seems to be reviewing this one positively. You think you'll move along with the series?

message 5: by Misty (last edited Mar 31, 2011 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Misty I almost knocked it back to a 2, but I didn't necessarily dislike it that much, I was just sort of unimpressed. It wasn't bad per se, it just could have been so much more. It was meh, and 3 is right in the middle, so a perfect meh.
[Edit: I did knock it back to a 2...]

Misty And thanks. :D

Misty Thanks! And you're welcome. :P

Meagan I loved your review, and a agree with a lot of it..

Misty Thanks! :)

message 10: by Taxandria (new)

Taxandria Awesome review.

Misty Thanks, Momo! :)

Schay Fuck yes. Completely agree with what you said about the numerous inconsistencies. That 60 year thing especially bothered me >_<

Misty Yes! What WAS that? How in hell are we supposed to believe anything when that's how we start off?

Schay Lol, I don't think Ms Oliver paid attention in her sociology classes xD
So tell me...is it worth reading the rest of it? I'm up to the part where Alex saw Lena with Brian, and she chased after him...

Misty I think it stayed pretty consistently meh throughout the whole thing, so if you don't like it now, it's probably going to remain that way.
And the ending is...frustrating for those who care, and predictable for those who don't. (That is to say, there isn't much of one. Something big and dramatic happens and it's over, no resolution, total cliff-hanger, if you care enough about the characters to feel anticipation)

message 16: by Schay (last edited Jun 11, 2011 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Schay Aaahh, totally understand what you mean :D I figured out that things could go two ways, but I think it would've been more interesting if Lena had been 'cured'.
Despite this, I just know I'm going to read the next book :|

Misty Haha. I *might* depending on feedback from people I trust. Because the thing is, I really really liked Before I Fall. I was looking forward to Delirium.
We'll see...

Misty You are completely entitled to disagree. That's the beauty of reading. And yes, I am a fairly critical person, especially when I am looking forward to something and it lets me down. I loved Before I Fall and I love dystopias, so this did let me down, unfortunately.
As for things I liked, allow me to quote myself:
"Lest you think this review is wholly negative, let me start with the things I did like. I love the concept, and think it has the potential to be really powerful and fascinating. There is a flow to it most of the time that kept me reading even when I was frustrated by other things. And there are these moments that shine through, these beautiful little word gems that Oliver creates, that reminds me of why I loved Before I Fall, and why I was so excited to read this."

Kat Kennedy I completely disagree...you are so critical....did you enjoy any part of this book??

This is a fair, balanced, well-reasoned review.

Perhaps if you can not contain yourself, you should stick to only reading 5 star reviews that will leave you in a pleasant comfort zone.

Misty Kat wrote: "This is a fair, balanced, well-reasoned review."

*blushes*

message 21: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Davids Annelise wrote: "I completely disagree...you are so critical....did you enjoy any part of this book??"

This makes no sense. Sorry.

message 22: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Davids Great review. I love Oliver,but I also have my gripes with her.

message 23: by Cory (new)

Cory TheDuchess wrote: "Annelise wrote: "I completely disagree...you are so critical....did you enjoy any part of this book??"

This makes no sense. Sorry."

I'm lost as well.

Anyway, nice review. I don't plan on finishing this book unless I'm terribly bored. I expected much, much more from Oliver.

Misty Thanks!

Misty O_O

Misty I go away for 1/2 an hour...
Can't leave you people to yourselves.
*walks away muttering*

Kat Kennedy [image error]

Misty Kat, you are MY FAVORITE PERSON EVER.

Misty (aside from Fry, of course. ;p)

Kat Kennedy Well, I never would reasonably expect to beat out Fry, naturally!

Misty Hahaha

Misty Um...thanks for the warning?
;)

Misty Annelise, are you on drugs?

(And neither. Honey Nut Cheerios, obvs.)

Kat Kennedy The only meme I could possibly use right now would be insanity wolf and I'm afraid that it would be a little too subtle and perfect for this situation... That's quite scary really, when you think about it.

Misty Ha!

Shannon I was also kind of disappointed with this. I didn't really care for Alex and I got frustrated with Lena sometimes. But the word gems, as you call them, were breathtaking.

Misty She's a talented wordsmith, there's no denying that. And I think maybe one day, I'll circle back around to this series and give it another try. But I was let down, for sure.

Christelle A really great review. Raises some really great questions!
However, I have personally read Before I fall almost a year ago so I have completely forgotten the way Lauren Oliver wrote. So, when I read Delirium and the whole series I was very pleased, maybe it's because I did not set any expectations like you.

Misty I really wonder what I would have thought of it if I'd read it before Before I Fall - and before Matched, which I read at the same time, and which is VERY similar. I'm glad I didn't, though, because then if I still hadn't liked it, I may have chosen not to read BIF, which would have been a shame.

Chloe It was great! Read it! U may like it. It's just her opinion not yours! So I say give it a chance!

Misty Chloe wrote: "It was great! Read it! U may like it. It's just her opinion not yours! So I say give it a chance!"

...Who are you talking to?
And I would never advocate not reading a book someone's interested in, though I may recommend ones I think are better.
So... Thanks for the input?

message 42: by Andi (new)

Andi It was nice to read your review. I felt the story was a bit so-so myself and I'm happy to see someone else saw the fact that the story wasn't backed up with a good backstory and the main character flip their personality in a complete 360.

Misty I think there are a number of us out there that were less than impressed with this one.

message 44: by Andi (new)

Andi Misty wrote: "I think there are a number of us out there that were less than impressed with this one."

True, but I'll probably read the next one. A friend of mine felt the same way with the first book but she really enjoyed the sequel. Worth giving a try at least.

Misty I think I'll give it a try eventually, just because I know her writing can be fabulous, even if it wasn't here. But it's not high on my priorities...

Jessica Before I Fall was so fantastic. I've read all her other books. . . Before I Fall was sooooo fantastic . . .

Misty Eesh. Doesn't improve, eh?

Misty Did you read her middle grade one too, Jessica? I can't think of the name of it offhand, but I have that one, and was hoping it would be worth the read...

Jessica I read Liesel and Po (which I did love), and just read The Spindlers. Spindlers was okay. I think my 8yo will like it.

Misty I forgot about The Spindlers - I have that one, too! Glad to hear Liesel & Po is good, at least. One of these days, I'll get around to them...