Rachel's Reviews > Behemoth

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: steampunk, young-adult
Read in December, 2010

Absolutely loved this second alternate history/steampunk book in the Leviathan series, which kept the action going for the entire book (no small feat I will add). We continue to watch the progression of the Leviathan with its Clanker engines as it makes its way across Europe. Dylan/Deryn's story just keeps getting more and more interesting as she distinguishes herself in battles/missions. Alek is finally coming into his own as a character, learning who he is and what he can achieve. I, like other readers, didn't know the part that the Ottomans had to play during WWI but it was interesting to read about them and their involvement with the Germans (though it was more played up for the sake of the book). I liked the mix of different cultures in Istanbul and the Committee leaders were particularly interesting. The illustrations were brilliant and really helped the story along, especially when trying to figure out what the Behemoth looked like. I can't wait to read the 3rd book in the series, especially after they tossed in that bit about the pope right in the end of this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behemoth.

12/02/2010 page 227