Shana's Reviews > The Human Stain

The Human Stain by Philip Roth

Dec 27, 07

Read in July, 2006

I always meant to read some Philip Roth, but I imagined him as the sort of uber-masculine, perhaps even sexist, writer who would turn me off. I was wrong. I deeply enjoyed this book, even though there were some parts that some people might think of as sexist. (The Monica Lewinski bit, for example.)

In fact, this book made me realize that some of my favorite writers--Kundera, for example--are masculine types accused of being sexist. This is perhaps odd considering that I have never, ever had a problem labeling myself a feminist, but I guess it is right in line with my idea that fiction doesn't have to share my political ideals or even express any political ideals at all. A good read is a good read, whether or not there are stong female characters or male characters with absolutely no respect for women. Maybe my draw to this kind of book is my desire to live many lives, however vicariously.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Human Stain.

Marcy I missed a lot of years of Roth when I was boycotting so-called sexist male writers. Since I relaxed a little, though, I've caught up, and discovered Philip Roth is an absolute genius. Glad I found out in time.

Shana Marcy wrote: "I missed a lot of years of Roth when I was boycotting so-called sexist male writers. Since I relaxed a little, though, I've caught up, and discovered Philip Roth is an absolute genius. Glad I found..."

We all miss out on good things because of prejudice sometimes. Then again, we also certainly avoid wasting time on stuff we wouldn't like. Still, you've got to take chances sometimes.