Jacqueline's Reviews > Bonds of Justice

Bonds of Justice by Nalini Singh

Jul 09, 10

bookshelves: from-work-borders, paranormal-romance
Read on July 09, 2010

I liked this one better than a couple of the other recent Psy-Changeling books. It had plenty of angst which I like. The hero is a human cop who falls in love with a Psy who has a job reading bad guys thoughts in order to resolve criminal trials. She is nearing the end of her useful life as doing this type of thing makes you go crazy. They are working together to solve a couple of cases. The love between them seems real and the progression of that love and their physical intimacy advances at a believable pace. She has a problem with touch and it takes a while for her to get over it. It isn't just swept away with her lust for the hero. The love story was very touching and I loved the way he was all about protecting her even from himself.

Two things kept it from being a 5 star for me. First and most irrational of me, I don't like the net mind idea. I don't get how the collective thoughts of a bunch of people has its own consciousnous. Take away half a star for unbelievability and the other half a star for the rather simple fix to the "oh my god she's going to die" dilemma of the whole book. There was this huge build up of how are we going to save her and the solution was a bit too much deus ex machina for me. I kind of went "thats it? Really?"

Spoiler below:

Max's brother River shows up at the end. They were way too comfortable with each other after 20 years apart. I know that when I came home from just a year abroad I had to get comfortable with my sister again. It was awkward for at least a day. Twenty years would not be dismissed so rapidly and also, no one ever mentioned Sophia's name to River and yet he knew it. It would have been better if Max had just opened the door and River was there. Nothing further needed.

Still loving the series though and can't wait to read the story of the alpha of SnowDancer. Hope that story is up soon.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonds of Justice.