Michelle 's Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

Jun 06, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read in April, 2011

*Spoilers for the first three Mortal Instruments are possible!*
Y'all have no idea how excited I was for this book to come out. I LOVE Mortal Instruments and most of that love comes because of my love for Jace. I love his snark and attitude and the way he interacts with the other characters. He is definitely one of my favorite all time characters. Love him. That being said - City of Fallen Angels is told mostly from Simon's point of view. Needless to say - when I started the book I was not very happy. But I should've known Cassandra Clare would still bring the amazingness. And amazing it was. I loved this book of the series as much as I loved the previous books. Clare's writing is flawless and her characters are so well written and developed - the reader feels like they know them and want to be friends with them and live in the story with them.

In any story, there's gotta be some drama and Clare knows how to bring the drama and leave the reader wanting more. Clary is now training to be a Shadowhunter and Jace is helping. But her mom is not too happy with the idea of Clary seeing Jace - he could be too much like his father, Valentine, and could end up hurting Clary. On top of that, Jace is being distant - weird distant. He says he loves Clary but then stays away from her for days at a time. Poor girl can't catch a break - first Jace is her brother and now he is avoiding her!

Most of the book is from Simon's point of view which I must admit, I ended up loving. Simon was really developed as a character in this book. He wasn't just the best friend trying to steal the girl anymore. He was a guy trying to find his way through the new world that he got mixed up in. From being turned into a vampire to the mark of Cain - Simon's life has been flipped upside down and the boy is doing a great job of dealing.

Clare introduces us to some new characters in City of Fallen Angels - Kyle to be specific. Oh, I loved Kyle. His relationship with Simon and then Jace was awesome. I can not wait to see more of him in the upcoming books. I also love Simon and Jace's start of a new found friendship! Y'all - they play off each other perfectly! I was love the scenes with Jace and Simon more than the scenes with Jace and Clary (I know right!). Except for maybe the dirty sexy alley scene. Hello! That was the most swoon-worthy scene in any book I've read in a long time.

Clare is amazing at cliff hangers and she doesn't disappoint with City of Fallen Angels. I know a lot of people were pissed about the ending but I loved it. I definitely was more upset over the whole "they are related" cliffhanger. This one just felt right. It was an awesome end to the book and I can't wait to see where it goes with City of Lost Souls.

I could gush on and on forever about how much I loved this book but I really think you just need to go and read it yourself. Like, now. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.

04/11/2011 page 135