Scott Welch's Reviews > The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith

The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller

M 50x66
Jul 10, 2010

Read from July 09 to 10, 2010

This book hit me like a ton of bricks. It is short and to the point, but it really did a good job of bridging the ideas of traditional and emerging church that I read about in Deep Church. The younger brother in the parable is the one returning from sin and seeking to make things right. The older brother is the self-righteous one looking down on the younger brother and the father for being so forgiving.

Sometimes I think that our churches have so many older brothers that younger brothers aren't attracted to it. The older brother seems to be those who are seeking religion instead of the faith of the Bible. To quote Keller from another book, "Jesus attracted the younger brothers (sinners and tax collectors) to Himself. Why aren't our churches?"

He does a good job of laying it out there and I can't imagine anyone reading it and saying, "Boy, that didn't apply to me at all." If you do feel that way...feel for a pulse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prodigal God.