Ebookwormy's Reviews > The Heaven Tree

The Heaven Tree by Edith Pargeter

Jul 13, 10

bookshelves: fiction, history, history-byzantium-to-french-rev, world-europe
Read in July, 2010

Why aren't more people talking about this amazing book? I am indebted to Gladys Hunt ("Honey for a Woman's Heart") for mentioning the Heaven Trilogy among her favorite books! While I was looking forward to some good reading, this book stunned me. It was rich and deep and deserves to be read again. After staying up late to read the climatic finish, I couldn't read or write for days. It is a book worth savoring and to move on too quickly seemed like disrespecting a masterpiece.

Very seldom does a single book bring together strong characters, compelling plot line, and inspirational themes - the essence of an excellent work. Not only does this book accomplish these essential three, Pargeter has also created a living historical setting.

We KNOW the main characters, we understand what makes them tick and while we do not know HOW they will act, we anticipate situations in which they MUST act. The plot flows between the decisions of the characters and the historical setting as smoothly and inconspicuously as life itself. Too much historical fiction involves projecting current ideas back onto characters in a setting of sparse historical facts. Pargeter's is the genius of creating a historical setting that goes beyond mere facts to illuminate for the reader how people lived, how people thought, and what their struggles were about.

And finally, when it is all said and done, these characters inspire us. They exhort us to be honest people by being willing to pay the price for honesty. They encourage us to be courageous people who are moved to action on behalf of others even when afraid. They remind us that acting selflessly demands sacrificing self. And they challenge us with the thought: If confronted so, would I be able to act nobly?

...and praise the LORD, there are TWO more books that I am looking forward to reading!

So, here is my proclamation: READ THIS BOOK. Men will resonate with the strong male themes and characters, women will revel in the complex relational dynamics (and romance), young people will find an ideal to emulate. Spread the word!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heaven Tree.