Miss's Reviews > If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries What Am I Doing in the Pits?

If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries What Am I Doing in the Pits? by Erma Bombeck

Nov 08, 2010

Read from September 04 to November 08, 2010

Do you like standup comedy? This book reads like one.
It is a collection of humourous stories without chronological order or any order whatsoever about family life from the perspective of an overworked, overstressed mum. Some stories are better than the others, but they are all really funny, I laughed out loud every few paragraphs, people on the subway must have thought I was crazy :).
It ends on a bittersweet note that brought tears to my eyes. The story titled "When Did I Become the Mother and the Mother Become the Child?" really got me thinking about my parents and how they are getting older and I have to insist with them to do their yearly medical checkups and how I worry if they are eating right..., never thought I would see this day but here it is and it's so sad.
Still, this book was a fun book, a true jem, and I understand it's autobiographical, so hats down to the author, who still manages to see the fun side of life despise everyday struggles. I'm so glad you woke up one day at 37 and decided to write!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries What Am I Doing in the Pits?.

Kathryn You mentioned one of my favorite essays. I so remember when that time came with my mom. And just last week, I was taking a walk with my daughter-in-law and was quite relieved to notice I still reached out to pull her to safety when a car made a rather sharp turn into a driveway! We certainly did talk about Erma Bombeck and life passages for the rest of the walk. I will always be sad that Ms. Bombeck did not get to be a grandmother. She had much left to say.