Kim Z's Reviews > Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

Jan 17, 08

bookshelves: okaystuff, non-fiction
Recommended for: feminists, historians
Read in January, 2008

The most interesting part of this book is the preface. There the author tells the interesting story of how the title statement developed from a line in an obscure academic paper to being published on t-shirts and bumper stickers, often being interpreted in ways seemingly at odds with its original context.

The rest of the book is an eclectic collection of stories about women throughout history. The transition from one to another is often sudden with a very tangential thread connecting each. (At one point she writes about women named Harriet who played a role in the history of slavery.) Her writing style is largely dry and academic. The book comes off as if to say “Look at what I’ve learned! I find this stuff interesting. I hope you do, too! Thx!”

Still, I DID find a lot of the stories interesting, but the denseness of the content sometimes made reading the book feel laborious. This is the perfect type of book to read in small spurts, if you are looking for some interesting and suprising stories about the history of women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History.