Ian Mapp's Reviews > A Week in December

A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks

Jul 09, 2010

Read in July, 2010

I think this may well have been the first Faulks novel set in modern day that I have read - having gone through the wars, victorian mental health and the 1970s - we now have a state of the nation book.

And what a clever book it is. A the title suggests, spread over 1 week, this details the lives of a number of london residents - the tube driver who has been involved in a suicide, the banker who is trying to manipulate the markets for his own good, the suicide bomber, the barrister, the pickle making asian manufacturer up for a gong and some of their children. All the characters are inter-related somehow and a common theme is their use of technology and litereature. There is a quite a wicked sense of humour here and modern social norms are perverted in names - facebook become Yourplace and so on. There is also a common bicycle rider with no lights who keeps nearly knocking people over - is this boris johnson?

The book did exceptionally well to carry over the format for 380 dense pages - always amusing, interesting and enlightening. Setup a little like a thrilller and you wanted to know where the bombers were going with their story and how it was going to impact the other charaters...as the book pointed out - there are other threats to world safety than islamic terrorists.

See that it had very mixed reviews, but personnaly I have enjoyed all his works - and the modern setting and London being a major character means that I enjoyed it as much as any of his others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Week in December.

02/09/2016 marked as: read

Phoebe Nicely written review; you covered in a nutshell some of the things I liked about it too.
Thanks.
(also LOL @ "...is this boris johnson?" Very good :-)