Vicki's Reviews > Three Junes

Three Junes by Julia Glass

Dec 27, 07

Read in December, 2007

There are a lot of beautiful things about this book, but to be honest, it gets weighed down by the whiny primary character, Fenno, who has the longest section all to himself. He's angry, and we have no idea why. Very angry, and very self-righteous, and we have absolutely no idea. Yes, he's gay. One parent is okay with it, one parent isn't really, but doesn't get in Fenno's face about it. Fenno has exiled himself to NYC, and amidst countless witty observations about the differences between boisterous Yanks and reserved Brits, seems to stew further in his anger and self-imposed loneliness. There is a lot of junping around in the narration, and at times, it seems as if this jumping is only for the sake of jumping, for the author to support some structure she thought up before she ever began, from which she doesn't want to stray. Not because it's best for the story.

The best part of the novel by far is the first section, concerning Fenno's father. Much more sympathetic. I don't need every narrator to be likeable. That's not my issue. My issue is that I need to understand why somebody acts the way they do, whether they're sympathetic or not. Not really clear to me in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Junes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I agree with you about Fenno. I kept waiting for him to have a break-through moment where he quits being so blah. I finally decided he needs Prozac.

Diane Yes, Fenno consumed too much of the story. Your comments are exactly my thoughts. I kept reading to see if his giving would turn his attitude positive.

Vicki Something about it just didn't seem to come together -- which is a shame, because there really are a lot of good things about the story.