Mark's Reviews > The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2)

The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) by F. Paul Wilson

Jul 30, 10

Read from July 08 to 09, 2010

This was an awesome 3rd person "P.I." story except the protagonist is something closer to a NY mercenary than a P.I. and it had some solid supernatural villains in the story. "Repairman Jack" is "off the grid" in a way that reminded me of Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder--except that for Jack, it is a matter of principle, not the burnout of an alcoholic ex-cop. But really, this is not so much a mystery as an adventure thriller. And the fantasy elements work well.

I was thinking I probably won't continue with this series because the character was sexually immoral and turned out to have started in his odd life as a vengeance murderer. The book is not explicit or anything, but since Jack's independent character is so important to the story, his lack of integrity in this area really bothered me more than the same failings in a character like Matt Scudder. I will probably give another "Repairman Jack" novel a try at some point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2).

07/08/2010 page 270
07/08/2010 page 270
60.0% "While reading about the monsters I caught sight of an insect scurrying over the bed sheet and smashed at it with the book like I was fighting for survival."
07/09/2010 page 317
71.0% "Not sure I'll read another in the series, but it is a really well-written thriller that reminds me of Buffy."
show 1 hidden update…