Casey's Reviews > The Bluest Eye

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

May 23, 07

bookshelves: adults

At first I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I thought the changes in narration were cool. In an afterward, Morrison commented that she thought these changes caused the reader to be "touched, but not moved." There was something distancing, though. Pecola was--and her pain was--so on the margins. When I think about this, though, I think that distance makes the novel ultimately more effective. This poor girl is an afterthought....I could read her story and not be destroyed, as I should be by something so ugly. The distance Morrison laments about her book is actually the thing that makes me like (wrong word) it more. How can I NOT be troubled by this marginal girl's experience? How are we all not more upset by the pain of people on the fringes?

*Sidenote/funny story: I read this book in the third grade. I thought that since it was about a kid, it must have been a kid's book. As an adult, I couldn't remember the title of the very advanced children's book I'd read at eight. When I picked this up, I was in for quite the surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bluest Eye.