Steve Woods's Reviews > Dispatches

Dispatches by Michael Herr

Aug 08, 14

bookshelves: vietnam-war
Read in August, 2014

It's no wonder this has become a cult classic. There was a small groupf of journalists and photographers aong the thousand who passed through the war who documented the conflict from the front. they saw more combat than almsot any soldier who served there, they were an amzing crazy group of guys. I was fortunate enough to share a beer with Neil Davis, for just a few minutes in a bar on Le Loi street in Saigon. i was an interesting conversation, I felt that I was speaking to someone who understood the surrealistic circus; I thought I was the only one who saw it. Herr captures that particular tenor of the absurdity, pathos and hilarity of the insane brew that it was. His deacription of combat and the black humour that arises from it are right on the knocker. I was only there for a year, and by the nature of my job I traveled a lot so I passed through many of the places and circumstaces he describes he certainly dug up some memories for me and expressed many of the feelings I had at the time but just couldn't piun down and put into words. A great book insanity from beginning to end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dispatches.

05/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading