Rachel Fessenbecker's Reviews > I am Scout: The Biography of Harper Lee

I am Scout by Charles J. Shields

F_50x66
Jul 08, 10

I Am Scout is a biography of the author Nelle Harper Lee, famous for her novel “To Kill a Mockingbird.” I chose this book, because as a young adult I was required to read Mockingbird in school. I assume many young readers are as well and wanted to find out how this book would be as a supplement to the novel. I think readers curious about the author of such an amazing work of fiction will love this book. Shields shows us the overall picture of her life through extensive research and many interviews he’s conducted over the years with Lee’s family and friends- though none with her personally. I especially found the stories about her childhood most telling. She is depicted as a fearless little girl marching to the beat of her own drum. She even broke up fights between boys older than her and often protected her best friend, Truman Capote (author of In Cold Blood). He shows us her relationship with her father, who inspired Atticus Finch and living life in a small Alabama town that would also later inspire the backdrop of her novel. Overall, it’s a wonderfully written biography done with skill and realistic interpretations. He covers all territory, even those hard to read (like her mother’s mental illness) with care and dignity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Scout.