Bradley's Reviews > Driven: An Autobiography

Driven by Larry H. Miller

Jul 12, 10

Read from July 08 to 12, 2010

I went back and forth with my feelings for this book. At times I thought it was nothing more than Larry Miller boasting about all his accomplishments and how much harder he worked than everyone else. I was also annoyed with the fact that he claimed he was a frugal man (and he was in many aspects of his life), but when someone accumulates 15 Shelby Cobras with price tags ranging from $250k to $4 million, I don't call that frugal.

I was also appalled to learn of how much debt Mr. Miller took on to buy the Utah Jazz, build portions of his enterprise and to finance many of his projects (the racetrack in Tooele County had a budget that started at $7 million and ballooned to over $100 million by project end).

Ultimately I felt sorry for Larry Miller since his extreme work ethic led to him missing all of his children's childhood as well as leading to his early demise. Gail Miller (Larry's wife) was a saint to put up with all that she did and to raise the family essentially on her own. Also, some of his mother's actions when he was younger were outrageous, e.g. throwing him out of the house when he was a young teenage for no real reason, having him arrested to spend the night in jail, etc.

I was impressed with all of Mr. Miller's philanthropy and continuous donations to many organizations throughout Utah. He did have a "heart of gold" in many ways and helped many, many people in need. He was a man that truly loved the state of Utah.

In the end, Larry Miller's story is a great case study for both the good (how to succeed in business) and bad (what happens when you ignore your family and physical health) examples he lead in his life.

Here's a link to a review that I thought summed up the book (and LHM himself) nicely:

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driven.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Sounds like an interesting read. Wonder what he would think about the Jazz losing players this year.