Brian's Reviews > Stranger Than Fiction

Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk

Aug 04, 10

Read from July 08 to August 01, 2010

Full disclosure: I’ve not read anything else by Palahniuk. I have seen the movie version of Fight Club. I came to this collection of his “nonfiction” at the insistence of my son, and discovered that Palahniuk is, indeed, a thoughtful and interesting writer. At first, I found myself underwhelmed with the pieces that seemed to be 2/3 quotations of the words of others (as interesting as the editing of the quotes was). Then, I made it to the final section, subtitled “Personal”. He won me over. He is so endearingly aware of his motivation and process (as well as the effects of becoming famous) that it is hard not to want to go read his fiction. A few insights in particular:
“So this is why I write. Because most times, your life isn’t funny the first time through. Most times, you can hardly stand it.” And “All that’s left is a book, and now a movie, a funny, exciting movie. A wild, excellent movie. What for other people will be a whiplash carnival ride, for my friends and me, is a nostalgic scrapbook. A reminder. Amazing reassuring proof that our anger, our disappointment, our striving and resentment unite us with each other, and now with the world.” Chuck is really smart, I think. Thank you, Sam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger Than Fiction.