Robert's Reviews > The Woods

The Woods by Harlan Coben

M 50x66
Jul 08, 2010

Read from July 08 to 16, 2010

The Woods is a taught, lightweight thriller by Harlan Coben. Coben does a good job of creating believable, flawed characters with whom the reader can empathize. A little less believable are the precarious situations in which those characters find themselves, but that is partly the point I think.

It is not hard to suspend disbelief as Coben weaves an interesting, compelling storyline built upon a tragic event twenty years earlier. Two teens are found dead, and another two are never found in the woods next to a summer camp. The protagonist, Paul Copeland, and all the other primary characters are still scarred by the events of that night, and when new information is brought to light regarding what happened, a new set of dominos begins to fall.

Many of the weaving storylines are laid out in a manner that allows the reader to see much of what’s coming. But those aha moments occur in conjunction with many of Copeland’s own realizations, and the result means the reader stays interested rather than bored by any apparent predictability. Much of the first part of the book attempts to establish the back story and where the primary characters are now, so as the book picks up speed later on it becomes an enjoyable page turner. The only part I found distracting was the side story. Copeland is a prosecutor and his current case in the book is an alleged rape case clearly inspired by the Duke Lacrosse case a couple of years ago. I personally just found the parallels distracting at times.

I would not recommend this as anything other than light summer reading however I like any book I don’t want to put down because I want to know what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woods.

message 1: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Mohr Love Coben - have not read this book but will add to my list.