Iowa City Public Library's Reviews > Noah's Compass: A Novel

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

Jul 08, 10

bookshelves: audio, kara, staff-picks-blog, fiction

I love Anne Tyler books. She writes about real people, their lives, and circumstances they get caught up in. I first discovered Anne Tyler in 1992 when Dick Estell read Saint Maybe as a part of his Radio Reader program on WSUI. I often listened while commuting into Iowa City for graduate school. This is when I first discovered the joy of listening to a book while driving and now I do a lot of my “reading” in the car!

Anne Tyler’s new book centers around the character Liam Pennywell who at sixty-one has been forced to retire from his job teaching fifth graders. Liam actually doesn’t mind losing his job because he wanted to be a philosopher but ended up teaching. On the first day of being unemployed Liam wakes up in a hospital room after being attacked in his new apartment. Liam wants to remember the time lost after the attack but while on the quest he realizes he may have forgotten a lot more along the way.

I listened to the Books on Tape production of the story and Arthur Morey is a great narrator. ~Enjoy~
--Kara
From ICPL Staff Picks Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Compass.