Iowa City Public Library's Reviews > The Angel's Game

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jul 08, 10

bookshelves: kara, audio, fiction, staff-picks-blog

For years people have been telling me that I need to read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Well … so far I haven’t and I’m not sure why. Recently I listened to The Angel’s Game by Ruiz Zafón and thoroughly enjoyed it. Set in Barcelona in the 1920’s, The Angel’s Game is the gothic coming-of-age story about David MartÌn and his quest to become a writer.

David had a horrible childhood and takes refuge in the world of books. Initially he writes under a pseudonym while dreaming about having the time and resources to write a book that he would be honored to put his name on. David’s initial innocence is contrasted with a dark, evil world that begins to emerge as he moves into an abandoned mansion in old Barcelona and enters into a contract to write a book for a reclusive French publisher. The mansion has many secrets, and these secrets begin to take over David’s life.

The Angel’s Game is read by Dan Stevens and his voice is perfect for this story. I plan to read The Shadow of the Wind next … I just discovered the Library has the eAudio version and I downloaded it to my Droid … life is good! ~Enjoy~ --Kara

From ICPL Staff Picks Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Game.