Brad's Reviews > Dead to the World

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Jul 14, 10

bookshelves: vampire, doing-the-dishes, guiltiest-of-pleasures, urban-fantasy
Read from July 08 to 14, 2010

Dear Charlaine,

This may come off a little mean, but I need to start by saying that you are a bit of a hack. But I don't mean that to be mean because the truth is I wouldn't want you to be anything other than the ass-kicking, pseudo-horror, pseudo-romance, pseudo-thriller hack that you are. You are my go-to guilty pleasure girl. I love hanging out with Sookie and her crew, and that's all down to you.

I just wanted you to know that Dead to the World is my favourite of the bunch. This had everything I love about Sookie and her world. Practically no Bill, lots of Eric (the hot Viking Sheriff of District Five), Weres, Witches, death, destruction, sex and tons of telepathic Sookie fun.

Did I say sex? Well, you hit the perfect balance between sex and action in this book, and I actually found some of the sex between Sookie and Eric to be arousing (not something I can say for your scenes between Sookie and Bill). And while I am on the subject of Vampire sex, Charlaine, thanks for eschewing the angsty, glittery, chaste, annoying Vampirism of Ms. Meyers. You celebrate Vampire naughtiness, then throw in some shape changing naughtiness for good measure, and that's so much more fun to read than the moody, whiny love triangle between a vapid girl, a pissy wolfboy and creepy "vegan" vamp.

So thanks for creating your bizarre, but believable world of everyday Supes who're challenging our prejudices by revealing that they've always been among us. Thanks for True Blood (both the fictional product and the HBO series), fangbangers (the coolest fictional term I've ever read in a pulpy novel), Fangtasia and the whole wacky population of Bon Temps.

I know your books are trashy, and I know some of them have pissed me off in the past, but Dead to the World is an exceptional piece of B-Lit trash. I am now a fan now matter how bad the rest of the books are. Sookie Stackhouse = Fun. I don't need anything more than that.

So thanks one last time, Charlaine Harris. I love your kooky mind.

Yours, Brad Simkulet

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to the World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad 9's that bad? Remind me again, KI, when I hit 8 so I don't wreck the series for myself.

Brad Poop. But I can't say I am too surprised; I'm expecting Sookie to get back together with boring Bill. And I will avoid 9

Brad Uh oh!

message 4: by Joy (new) - added it

Joy Brad, I love your "doing the dishes" book reviews! Always entertaining!

message 5: by Rita (new) - rated it 1 star

Rita I love your review!! :)

Brad Thanks, RB

Kimberly So, your review is basically the one I was about to write. So instead, I LIKED it on our facebook for nerds site and felt the need to comment on your awesomeness.
FYI - book 7 was the worst book in my opinion, but several of them have been super "eehhhh". But yet I keep reading. They are just so bad they are good (most of the time). My type A-ness wouldn't let skip any, but my relationship with Charlaine Harris would probably be better for it.