Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, zombies, i-worried-that-i-d-get-hit-by-a-bus
Read from May 31 to June 01, 2011 — I own a copy

So, I loved this book's immediate prequel, Feed. But I think this one may have middle book syndrome. The author is clearly going somewhere interesting, and the final book in the trilogy could well be awesome. But near the end of this one, something happened which appeared to, well, kind of violate the rules of the universe as established. Even though there were hints about it, it felt more like, well, magic than science, you know? (For those who have read the book, I'm talking about the thing with Shaun, not the other thing. The other thing I did see coming ... just had no idea how exactly it would happen.) The problem is probably that (a) I don't know enough about virology, and (b) the answer will come in book 3. I hope.

This is definitely a darker book than Feed. Not at all "more of the same," which is good, and yet ... I guess it just didn't push my readerly buttons in quite the same way. Your mileage may vary. I think this might be an example of what Hirondelle calls a claustrophobic book. It's a first person narrative, and you spend all your time in Shaun's head. And after what happened in book 1, his head is a lousy place to be. He's seriously pissed and essentially insane but functional. Mostly. I liked being inside the head of the first book's narrator. Shaun as he is here, not so much.

Two things I forgot to mention. One, I enjoyed the references to the Wizard of Oz. Two, as a research scientist's SO, I feel like this gets a lot of medical research structure dysfunction exactly right.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.