Erik Simon's Reviews > Light in August

Light in August by William Faulkner

Jul 08, 10

Faulkner wasn't my first love, but once he came into my life, he's been my longest, deepest love, and twenty years later, that has not changed. His work is as fresh and original as the day he wrote it. And overly awesome in the original sense of the world. His sentences still baffle me in their ability to employ such unpredictable language and words to describe something in such a uniquely perfect manner. He simply saw the world around him in a way no one else did and described it in a way no one else could. It's been a decade or so since I've read this book, and rereading it was a beautiful week with an old, dear friend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light in August.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Awesome. Have to read Faulker this year...thanks for the reminder, sir.

(Oh, and welcome to the Big Ten)

Erik Simon Believe it or not, RA, I am ecstatic to be headed to the Big Ten. I loved the Big Eight, but once it disbanded, I never did warm up to the Big XII, not the least for which it broke up one of the great rivalries of all time--Nebraska/Oklahoma. And those old SWC schools: they all act as if they'd won a national championship at some point in the past, which they hadn't until recently. Meanwhile, I want to thank you for the kindness you've shown in not badgering (Wisconsin) me about the Cubs. Good Lord we're a mess.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony The Huskers are the perfect fit for the Big Ten. for a while people were talking about adding east coast schools, but Nebraska is more the conference's style. I'm looking forward to your first year.

Hey, the best race in the majors is between the Brewers and Cubs as they grapple for third in the NL Central...

Sparrow I think Faulkner is one of the greatest writers who has ever lived, but I never care about his stories. This one is really beautiful, though. I think it's too bad that it seems less well known than his others.

Erik Simon I hear what you're saying, Meredith. Often, his characters are so overblown as to not be quite real, and it can be difficult to get emotionally invested in the actual story. That said, I'm from rural southern Illinois, which culturally is the South, and many of his characters are quite real, and I'm fascinated by what happens to them and by them.

Sparrow I was going to say the characters were too overblown, but often I like overblown characters. I think it's more that they're so consistently unpleasant. They're usually not quite evil, but just unpleasant in that particularly Southern-writer way. They're always really respectable stories, though, and I can't fault him for any of it. I have the same reaction to Steinbeck, and I'm positive it's just a taste thing.