Carrie's Reviews > Beauvallet

Beauvallet by Georgette Heyer

Jul 14, 2010

bookshelves: audio, classic-lit, historical, read-2010
Read from July 08 to 14, 2010

In a word, wonderful! The tale of a daring (and dashing) privateer determined to seek out his lady-love in the heart of enemy Spain is superbly written and expertly narrated. Georgette Heyer may be a master at Regency romances, but this one set in Elizabethan times may be one of my all time favorites. The book is full of wonderful characters, wry humor, witty scenes and clever dialog. While the romance is sweet, and a driving force behind the action, this book is different from many of Heyer's other works. The first part of the book unfolds the romance, and the second half follows Beauvallet as he attempts to keeps his word to find Dominica and bring her to England. The story is action-packed and often very humorous. Joshua, Beauvallet's "man," is a great character and we get to see part of the story from his point-of-view. Cornelius Garrett does the voices superbly, especially Joshua's, and his timing is perfect. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed this book no matter what, but listening to it with such a great narrator was a real treat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauvallet.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Jane Stewart I've noticed you really like G. Heyer. I only tried one of her books and didn't like it (Venetia). I felt like the conversations were too long and boring. So I never tried anymore. You're making me wonder if I should give her another try. Maybe as an audio book. If you have a suggestion, let me know.

Carrie Well, Beauvallet was wonderful. I don't think audible has The Talisman Ring yet, but it's a hoot on audio if you can find it. Cotillion is one of her funniest. All her books have lots of long "conversation" and characters reflecting on events. I love that about her, but I know some don't. I do think audio makes it better, because you follow the conversations wile you work (or drive). I love Jane Austen best on audio, too. I love listening to the language and sentence structures.

Other good ones:
Black Sheep
The Reluctant Widow
April Lady

Oh.... all of them! ;-) (I love Venetia.)

message 3: by Carrie (last edited Jul 21, 2010 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie PS~ I'm going out of town for the weekend, so I probably won't have internet until Sunday evening. Just wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring any comments. ;-)