Topher's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

190886
Dec 26, 07

bookshelves: literature
Recommended for: people who liked catcher in the rye and remember the muppets on tv
Read in December, 2007

my life was nothing like his. my life was everything like his.

maybe i was in the right mood today, maybe it just is that damn good. it was everything i remember feeling from high school, from reading catcher in the rye and a separate peace, from driving around down to city line avenue and wandering around hotel hallways looking for room service trays so we could move the spoons, from not understanding how i felt about my best friend at the time, deliberately failing spelling quizzes so i would look dumber, telling my parents that i didn't want to study because i just wanted to fit in, driving out to valley forge park or catching a movie, or even getting up too damn early on a saturday and putting on a tie for debate and speech, that sense of belonging and alienation and the sometimes partial glimpes of the perfect moments, the faces of god, when it felt like everything was right, there was a plan, and you could almost see it.

i never drove in the back of the truck, with the wind in my face through the liberty tunnel. but, i still am struck with the unexpected beauty every time i go through it...and i can understand that feeling. i remember that feeling that, in that moment, we were infinite.

(I got bored one day, and looked in facebook for groups about books, trying to find something new to read. I kept finding groups for this book. Some of them had pictures of tattoos of quotes from the book. If a book inspires someone to permanently etch the author's words onto that body, I need to read it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tricia (new) - added it

Tricia I think I'm gonna read this next. I just found out about it last month. It seems like it would be great! there also a movie coming out!