Minh's Reviews > Something from the Nightside

Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green

Jul 08, 10

bookshelves: mystery, paranormal
Read in February, 2007

I have had a grudge against Simon Green for years. It was totally unjustified I'll admit that. I disliked him simply because every time I go to a bookstore I look for Sharon Green. And every time, I see Simon Green. I grew to HATE that name! I only knew it was a guy who wrote SF (or fantasy) and always seemed to be in stock. However, I read a recommendation of his Nightside series, and figured I had to bite the bullet.

The novel is short, but surprisingly brutal. I pretty much love the private eye as a supernatural being kick, Kim Harrison is one of my favourite paranormal writers at the moment and she does it brilliantly. The main character John Taylor is somewhat of an enigma. He doesn't know who his mother was, and for some reason everything in the Nightside (the underbelly of London Town) seems to fear his very guts. Hired by a distraught mother to go into the Nightside to find her daughter, it's a strange often very brutal tale about this PI.

There was a twist towards the end that had me going... Huh. But all in all, very promising start to a series. As far as I know there are about 9 books out atm.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something from the Nightside.