Angela's Reviews > A World Without Islam

Recommended to Angela by: Goodreads program
Recommended for: everyone
Read from August 19 to September 21, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1
BCID: 8171134

** spoiler alert ** This book has come to me through the First Reads program -- and I will be moving it to the top of my TBR pile. Look for a review here soon.

A very readable book, in fact the only reason it has taken me as long as it has to read it is that is has a lot of thoughts/ideas I needed to digest.

I think I can sum up what this book has to say with a quote from the end of the book:

"It is not a new revelation to note that power and any ideology tend to corrupt each other. If there was no Islam, there would certainly be other religions around playing similar roles under similar conditions. With no religions at all, we would still readily find or create other ideologies to justify the same acts. Thus, a world without Islam does not markedly change the nature of things."

Mr. Fuller brings up so many good points, I can't possibly put them all here -- some of them are in my status updates if anyone cares to check those out.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, and actually I plan to do just that.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A World Without Islam.

08/19/2010 page 12
3.0% "Not exactly what I expected as I begin to read, but I am still fascinated by the idea --"
08/22/2010 page 28
8.0% "My husband read the intro, and decided he wanted to read it, and couldn't wait, so he purchased it for his Kindle :-)"
08/27/2010 page 118
34.0% "As I am reading this, I find myself thinking about the "ground zero mosque", which I know little about, but isn't it possible that there are Muslims who are embarrassed or saddened by what happened, and are looking for a way to heal as well as the rest of the US? It reminds me of the families of Klebold and Harris, who weren't really allowed to mourn their boys after Columbine -- grief comes from many sides."
09/20/2010 page 201
57.0% ""Many of the remarks of radical preachers who have taken up positions in some mosques in the West...are indeed outrageous and provacative. They make good press, as do extremists in all democratic societies."
09/20/2010 page 201
57.0% ""But the speech of a small group of unrepresentative extremists must not be taken to represent the true nature of Islam in Europe or anywhere else.""
09/20/2010 page 205
58.0% ""Not all that is legal is wise.""
09/20/2010 page 207
59.0% "excerpt from an answer by Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi "Religion is not just some rituals but it is building good conduct and good morals.""
09/21/2010 page 207
59.0% "because I was just in NY and had a tour of Ground Zero, and because the mosque is on everyone's mind...this book is making me think of all the controversy, and so...

It is a prayer center NOT a mosque, and it is blocks away from Ground Zero. Unless you WANT to go there, you won't need to pass it when you head to visit GZ."