oliviasbooks's Reviews > Inconvenient

Inconvenient by Margie Gelbwasser

Two stars only for an unquestionably good young adult book about growing up, cultural identity and alcoholism in a community that includes excessive alcohol consumption as a part of everyday life. Two stars only for a realistically harsh and raw story told believably from a likable girl's insecure and helpless point of view that makes the reader root for her and ache with her. Two stars only for the sad story of an unraveling childhood friendship, that breaks apart because of one half's single-minded efforts to fit in with the popular crowd. Two stars only for the more bitter than sweet illustration of experiencing the imperfectness of first love with a guy who does not know what - and who - he really wants. Two stars only for a book which made me skipping pages on a quest for a glimpse of a rainbow in the murky weather of unsoftened honesty. Two stars only, because it's hope-addicted me and my enjoyment-focussed rating system and definitely not the book.

Believe it or not: I give my reading experience two stars only, but I do not hesitate to recommend the book to a certain kind of reader - the one who is perfectly alright without the caviar, the creamy filling and the laughter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inconvenient.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Rogue (new)

Rogue I don't know.. I kind of like cavier. ;)

oliviasbooks Well. You own a copy. Have a go. It's good, that we didn't swap this one, Lindsay. Otherwise I would have been in the possesion of three copies by Christmas.

message 4: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 01, 2012 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks Uuups, Cinnamon. I somehow mistook you for Lindsay. Sorry. I swear I had only one glass last night.

message 3: by Rogue (new)

Rogue LOL. At least that makes sense now. :)

Exactly how big was this glass hmmm? ;)

message 1: by Rogue (new)

Rogue I like to use those nearly 2 gallon wine glasses from the craft store. ;D