Susan's Reviews > Into That Good Night

Into That Good Night by Ron Rozelle

Jul 11, 10

bookshelves: memoir, 2010read, memory-loss, texas
Recommended for: Texans, teachers, people interested in dementia, memoir
Read from July 08 to 11, 2010, read count: 1

This was quite good in a short, simple kind of way. I'm not sure I would've liked it as much were I not from Texas, but in general it was a solid and touching memoir. Although the main focus of the book was on Oakwood, this was the first time I've read anything partially set in Lake Jackson, where I lived briefly, and that was nice to see. I liked Rozelle's depiction of small Texas towns without going too much into detail and letting the ambiance speak for itself. I like how he went back and forth between the past and the "present" and for a memoir about Alzheimer's, it was really quite heartbreaking at times. It made me think about what I would do and how I would feel if my parents were to fall victim in the next couple decades. There was also a lot of socio-policital background conveyed without Rozelle giving his own commentary, because that wasn't what the book was about.

Grade: B+
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into That Good Night.

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Any relation to Richard Rozelle, who was a psychology prof at UH?

Susan Helen wrote: "Any relation to Richard Rozelle, who was a psychology prof at UH?"

I'm going to say no because Ron Rozelle has two sisters and no brothers. I suppose he could be a cousin or something but it doesn't look like Richard Rozelle grew up in Texas anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen Oh, I don't know. He was gone by the time I was a student at UH. I just never heard of anyone else with this last name.

Susan I haven't either, but I had googled "Richard Ronzelle" to find a bio and it seems there are a lot of people with that name alone. Unless your RR is also a boxer.