Michelle's Reviews > Point Omega

Point Omega by Don DeLillo

Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: audio, novels
Read from July 07 to 09, 2010

Audio book experiment failed.

Even though Campbell Scott has a nice voice, I probably should have read this book instead of listening to it in my car. The parts devoted to Douglas Gordon's 24 Hour Psycho were beautiful and had me wishing that for my first experience with DeLillo I had chosen to read him rather than listen to someone else read him to me.

The beginning had my attention, but then I zoned out a lot during the middle section and had to repeat tracks more than once. Towards the end of the book, when 24 Hour Psycho was mentioned again, I actually missed my exit. That accounts for the third star rather than the two I was going to give it. I do believe it would have been a solid three-star or even a four-star rating if I had read it, but I know I'll never take the time to find out for certain.

Oh. Some of you who know me know that I hate spit. I hate listening to someone spit or watching someone spit. I feel a gag coming on even as I am typing this. Anyway, there is one part where DeLillo colorfully describes Elster 'hocking up a loogie' and I gagged in my car. That was a plus in my book.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point Omega.

David Yeah. I think this is one of the last novels I would ever want to listen to an audio version of. It's too expository and cerebral...

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Jul 11, 2010 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle I just got so excited seeing it available on audio at the library. I didn't want to shell out the bucks for a hardcover by an author I've never read (And you know how I feel about reading library books ever since Denis Johnson).

I also picked up Jonathan Lethem's You Don't Love Me Yet and started listening to it yesterday. I already wish I was reading it instead. It's even read by the author.

I think I'm going to take MFSO's advice and only get non-fiction books on audio.

JSou I can't do audio either. I've only gotten through a couple non-fiction titles, but even those were iffy.