Eileen Souza's Reviews > Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home

Somewhere Inside by Laura Ling

Jul 10, 10

bookshelves: asia, koreas, china, north-america, communism
Read from July 07 to 10, 2010

I have always enjoyed Lisa Ling's work, from the time that I was a student watching her on Channel One News. I had been aware of her sister Laura, and Euna Lee's arrest in North Korea, and signed a petition asking the DPRK's government to release them. This is Laura's story of what happened and what she experienced while in North Korea, as well as Lisa's story of doing everything in her power - including yanking nearly every string that she could pull from political and media contacts.

I thought that the book was written in easy prose, and captivated me because it covered not only the political wrangling, communist countries from the inside (something that fascinates me), and the love of two siblings when one of them got into serious trouble and the other one was going crazy trying to save her (why would that be familiar?.

This didn't get five stars because it wasn't a life-altering novel, but I did consider it. It was obvious that the DPRK treated Laura quite well (after the initial arrest) and that that they were concerned that she feel like she was being treated well, so the US would know that they were taking care of her. I'm incredibly interested in how Euna Lee was treated, since she is Korean, and spoke Korean. Her book isn't released until Septermber, but I'll definitely be reading it when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere Inside.