Cris's Reviews > The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey

Jul 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fairy-tales, fantasy, magic, romance
Read from July 07 to 09, 2010

I enjoyed the book. I found it smooth, I like the characters, I didn't figure out the whole plot, and I enjoyed the story. (I'll agree with the Amazon review I said that the plot wasn't anything particularly memorable, but it was fairly enjoyable.) I've got two quibbles. One is the cover. The young lady on the front should be Rosa. But the cover lady is a brunette and Rosa is a *blond*! That's an annoying oops.

The second, and more serious quibble, is the emotional depth of the story. I think The Sleeping Beauty would have benefited from more character development, particularly Rosa and her Prince. The reader spends a lot of time in other people's povs, especially Lily. And while that helps propel the plot it limits our knowledge and affection for Rosa and the Princes. (Contrast that with Lackey's first book in this series, The Fairy Godmother which wrapped very tightly around Elena and her Prince, Alexander. Most, if not all, of the reader's time is spent in either Elena or Alexander's pov. And a significant portion of the plot is devoted to their interaction.)

The simplest fix would be simply making the book longer. There were a number of events in the story that should have been elaborated on more than they were, like the trials for the princes or Rosa's training in magic. I think additional elaboration to those scenes would have allowed more character development. I wasn't indifferent to the characters, but a little more time with them would have increased the punch of the climax a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeping Beauty.

07/07/2010 page 50
15.0% "Not as much humor as I expected from the description."