Kristen's Reviews > Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

19640
Jan 08, 08

Read in January, 2008

Klosterman was recommended to me by a friend, and while I'll admit he has some funny bits, he really is that guy at the party who is exceedingly nerdy (in a hipster sort of way) and who thinks he's clearly better than everyone else. And no one -- no one -- should devote the amount of time and attention to pop culture that he does. And this is coming from a girl who gets a regular dose of Perez Hilton every week. I'm his target audience, and yet he still turned me off. He critiques pop culture at such a level of extreme minutia that only four people on the planet know what he's talking about. Furthermore, he makes a point of saying that certain shows, bands, etc. appeal only to people who were born between certain years (he was born in 1972, and thinks most of today's pop culture only applies to those born between 1970 and 1975). For example, he writes that only people born between the aforementioned years ever watched "Saved By the Bell," which aired when he was in college. I won't get into the fact that Klosterman was watching episodes of SBTB in COLLEGE (mind you, this was a show on Saturday mornings initially, geared towards the 10-15 year-old crowd). In fact, I think SBTB was watched by many more viewers in younger generations than his, but it serves to illustrate the point that Klosterman seems to feel that everything in pop culture only applies to his narrow generational window.

He writes as if he thinks he so much better than all of these people he makes fun of, and yet he spends his career hyper-evaluating pop culture. Pot, Kettle, anyone?
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

Diana Yeah, but I think you're kind of missing the point. Chuck Klosterman KNOWS he's ridiculous. He makes fun of himself at least as much as he makes fun of other people. What I find refreshing is that he goes ahead and makes rather outrageous statements and then proceeds to back them up. It's funny and entertaining. And, by the way, why exactly should no one--NO ONE--devote as much time and attention to pop culture as he does? Who died and made you God? If Chuck Klosterman wants to devote his life to deconstructing the minutiae of pop culture and people are going to pay him lots of money to do it, maybe he's devoting EXACTLY the right amount of time to it. And Perez Hilton is a major jerk who makes a living making fun of people going through very public nervous breakdowns, so he's not exactly a paragon of virtue.