Brigitte's Reviews > Slightly Scandalous

Slightly Scandalous by Mary Balogh

Jul 07, 2010

liked it

I have had the pleasure of reading several of Balogh's other titles, but this is my first foray into the Bedwyn family. While I did enjoy the book, I found it to be repetitious. Everything was "haughty". Freyja had a haughty tone, a haughty manner, haughty expressions, she conducted herself haughtily. By the time I finished reading the first few chapters, I was heartily sick of the word "haughty".

And apparently, in order to make the reader believe that Freyja is spirited and strongwilled, she must punch people in the nose. It was amusing the first time because it could be deemed unexpected. But after she punched the hero twice, and tried to smack him a few other times, it got silly. By the time she decks the marchioness, instead of being the satisfying scene that it should have been, it was just tired (it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that punch coming from a mile away).

There are other repetitive devices throughout... Josh grins and winks alot... Wulf isn't just cold and aloof, he's wooden, and seems to be having a love affair with that quizzing glass...the marchioness is shrill, simpers and falsely appears weak despite the fact that no one seems to fall for her act. And just how many times do the various Bedwyn siblings have to verbally state their superiority? "We ARE Bedwyns"... I kept waiting for someone to add "Hear us roar" every time someone said that.

Despite how it might sound, I actually enjoyed the story for the most part, but it pales next to many of other Balogh's other works. I am still curious to see how other Bedwyn titles pan out even though I found this one to be subpar.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slightly Scandalous.