Brigitte's Reviews > The Viscount Who Loved Me

The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn

Jul 07, 10

I actually read this book a few years ago, but did not post a review for it. Considering I have reread it more times than I can count, I felt it deserved a review. In my humble opinion, TVWLM is the best of the Bridgerton series. The characters are funny, the familial relationships are realistic, and the story is just plain fun. Julia Quinn took what could have been a very hackneyed story line, and made it incredibly entertaining. There are several laugh out loud moments (Pall Mall, anyone?), and the characters simply come alive on the page. Frankly, this book ruined me for most other titles and authors. I have read historical romances off and on for years, but never expected a great deal from them. They were simply mindless pieces of fluff I picked up on breaks from my "real" reading. After reading this title, I realized that I do not have to have lowered expectations for "women's fiction" and that I can expect them to be witty, intelligent, and original. This book is the measuring stick that I use for all other titles I read (and that includes other Quinn titles as well). If other authors find their work lambasted as trite, silly, and vapid, they only have Julia Quinn to blame.

That said, for anyone who has not already done so, read this book NOW. For those of you who have....read it AGAIN. :-)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Viscount Who Loved Me.