Claire Caterer's Reviews > The Annotated Christmas Carol

The Annotated Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Jul 21, 14

bookshelves: holiday-reads, favorites, britain
Read in October, 2008

I read Dickens every Christmas because his writing is so evocative and his story, while firmly set in 1843 London Town, is timeless: no matter how old or how crochety, no matter what a raw hand we think we've been dealt, no matter our lousy childhood or lousy adulthood, there is hope and redemption there for the taking. Never give up hope; never say die. (This story also works if you're feeling particulary anti-Christmas and would like to see those who go about with "Merry Christmas" on their lips to be boiled in their own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through their hearts.)
Charles Dickens was throughout his life a champion of the downtrodden and disenfranchised. He lobbied for children's rights and fair labor laws, for the poor, for the forgotten members of society. He nearly single-handedly brought Christmas back to a nation that had had it stolen away by Oliver Cromwell's Puritanism. And he could write a sentence and a story like no one else. God bless him, every one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Annotated Christmas Carol.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Claire--I love what you have to say about A Christmas Carol. I'm glad to have you as a "friend." Diane