Arielle's Reviews > Captivate

Captivate by Carrie Jones

Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: own
Read from August 29 to October 12, 2010

Since I've read Need, I've been dying to read the next book in the series to see what happens to Zara and her friends. I don't read a lot of young adult and urban fantasy books, but when I do I love getting lost in a completely different world and this book was perfect to do just that.

The story starts off a few months after Zara and her friends solve the problems they were facing with the pixies, however they are all aware that this was only a temporary solution. The group are always on the lookout for stray pixies and do their best to keep everyone else safe, but now a new king is around, one that is much younger and stronger, and he believes that Zara is meant to be his queen. Astley is trying hard to convince Zara that contrary to her belief, not all pixies are bad but like humans, there call also be good pixies and he happens to be one of them. As Zara becomes more concerned for the safety of her friends, she starts to believe that maybe Astley is being honest and things take an interesting turn. How far will Zara go for her loved ones?

I found the second book in the Need series to be so much more intense than the first book. The pixies and weres plot starts to thicken and I thought that this made the books a lot more interesting. Zara still annoys me a little at times and she makes me want to scream at her for her choices, but I like how her character is developed and in the end she is much stronger. The mushy teenage love is much more frequent in this book and if there was one thing I could complain about is that these could have been reduced, but to make things worse Zara has two guys to swoon over, so that's to be expected. I was able to get over that part though and it didn't hinder me from enjoying the book. The ending is definitely a cliffhanger and left me with so many questions. When I finished this book I just had to know what happens next, where is Nick, will Zara remain the same, aaaa this is not fair!

Overall I like how Carrie Jones is developing the story, and now I have the next book to look forward - Entince which will be released later this year. I have to get hold of that one as soon as I can.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivate.