Carrie's Reviews > Holy Bible: King James Version

Holy Bible by Anonymous

Jan 11, 08

Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 2002

1 Million Bibles are sold every week.....4.7 billion sold....no other book comes anywhere near that record!

It is unique.

I find it strange that some say, 'I don't believe the Bible' that's like saying 'I don't believe History'...go to the British Museum and see for yourself all the artifacts and the Biblical references to the places mentioned in the Bible.

So many lovers of William Shakespeare do not seem to be aware of the fact that the Bard took part in translating the King Jame's Version of the Bible into English.

Like a bit of proof? On Shakespeare's 46th birthday he translated Psalm 46....count 46 words from the beginning of the Psalm and 46 words from the end.....he did it to put his personal mark on this translation!

As for the recommendations in the Bible.....yeah I think its great to love our neighbour as ourself....I think to put others first.....instead of this Age of the Ego, this Age of Me-ism....is wonderful....imagine that....no war, no violence, no abuse, no stealing.....what was it John Lennon wrote about in 'Imagine'?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Bible.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John So either about 5/6 of the population owns The Bible and are Christian or there are a group of fanatics who buy the bible in large quantities?
I fail to see the logic in your logic.

Carrie Sir, I was simply stating the stats on how widely the Bible is bought these days and until I looked it up, I had no idea how popular it still is. Had you?

Lyndele Is this satire?

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Guevara You forgot to read the rest of the stat -- Most sold/least read

could be why there'll be a second coming. JC has a hellova royalty check due.

The Bard had a hand in the translation? Well I'll be; that explains why it's so hard to read. You may be right about the translation, debatable, but I'm sure he had nothing to do with this LDS edition.

@lydale. I was thinking the same thing.

message 5: by Cassiopia (new)

Cassiopia There's another statistic to go with that, and very few people ever remember it. The Holy Bible is the most shop-lifted book in America.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Wallace "what was it John Lennon wrote about in 'Imagine'?"

He also sang Imagine no religion.

Kind of skipped over that part did we?

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Swatley First, it should be noted that, although Shakespeare did live at the same time the King James Version was being translated, there is no evidence that he had anything to do with the translation. The events and dates in the life of Shakespeare are fairly well known, and in all of the established facts about his life, not a single piece of paper or document puts him anywhere near the translation process of the King James Version.

Second, in order to get the “perfect” 46s out of Psalm 46, the word “selah” must be omitted from the text. Since the word “selah” seems to be used in many of the psalms as a type of musical punctuation, then the proponents of the Shakespeare rumor think that it would be acceptable not to count the word in order to obtain the desired result. However, the word is in the original text of the psalm. If Shakespeare were involved in translating Psalm 46, he mostly likely would have had the manuscripts before him that contained the word “selah,” since it is in the text. Why, then, would he have arbitrarily decided not to count the word? And, if the word “spear” had come one word later in the text, would the propagators of this rumor simply say that Shakespeare did count the word “selah.” Needless to say, you can make numbers do anything you want them to do if you conveniently omit anything that you do not want to count.

Third, Shakespeare could not have subjectively inserted the words into the text in order to get his name in, since the Hebrew words for “shake” and “spear” had been there for thousands of years prior to 1611. Also, the word “shake” is a commonly used word in the KJV (as is the word “spear”). Finding the two words together in one psalm is unremarkable.

www.apologeticspress.org/articles/1828

message 8: by Becca (new)

Becca Chris wrote: ""what was it John Lennon wrote about in 'Imagine'?"

He also sang Imagine no religion.

Kind of skipped over that part did we?"

I was just about to point this out :P

Simeon [image error]

message 10: by Carrie (last edited Nov 28, 2010 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie Wow, I haven't been on here for ages.....I didn't know about these comments...

All I can say is, O.K. it was only twice, so I am not an expert on him, which I am sure some of you are and I was still only an impressionable girl, but when I met John Lennon he came over as a very religious man. I am pretty sure the 'imagine no religion' he was referring to was the false variety....the variety that makes money out of The Devoted Faithful.

As to William Shakespeare 'taking part' in translating the Bible into English , there are as many documents upholding his help in translating Psalm 46 as there are modern critics who dismiss such a 'travesty'....I laugh when I read words such as , 'No, he did not!'. Actually, they were not there so how could they possibly make such a bold statement?

I will post one quote from The Newburgh Seminary/ College:

'No, he most likely did not (actually translate the Bible). Many believe he did only due to the fact that the writing in the King James Bible mirrors the musical writing of Shakespeare, but William Shakespeare is not credited as one of the 40-plus translators and writers. Indeed since he had "small Latin and less Greek" he was not equipped to translate the Bible in any case.

Nevertheless, it is widely believed he did in fact assist a bit on the translation and writing, but his contribution would have been so minor he was left uncredited. An interesting fact is that Shakespeare was 46 years old when the King James Bible was being translated and written, and 46th word in Psalm 46 is "shake", and the 46th word from the end is "spear". This may be another reason so many believe he was involved in the translation and writing, especially on Psalm 46.'

Enjoy your days,

Carrie

message 11: by Becca (new)

Becca An interesting fact is that Shakespeare was 46 years old when the King James Bible was being translated and written, and 46th word in Psalm 46 is "shake", and the 46th word from the end is "spear"

Wow, that's pretty cool, whatever side of the debate you're on.

Carrie Greetings from London, Rebecca!

All I did was write my personal review of a Book I have read!

I wonder what the Translators of the Bible into English and other European languages would think of some of the comments made today about the Bible. So many of these intrepid scholars were hunted down, tortured and burnt alive for their unceasing efforts, just so that we could have the privilege of reading and understanding this amazing book in our own language.

I can never accept a review or criticism of a book (that goes for any book), unless it has been read in its entirety....it amazes me that some have the gall to do so (some have never even picked up a Bible and yet they feel they are experts on its authenticity)....it's kind of like writing a personal review on a restaurant without ever going there or tasting its cuisine.

Oh well, Rebecca, away I must, I have a book to finish and I have only written 8 chapters.

All the best from a snowy England!

Carrie

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Song There is no evidence of a king solomon or a king david. The bible is obviously fictional.

message 14: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Now now Lori, there probably was a King David floating around Jerusalem at the time.

However, that doesnt make the biblical account of him or the bible its self any less fictional.

Biblical evidence in the British Museum? Hmmm I think not.

message 15: by Carrie (last edited Feb 10, 2012 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie Interesting comment...I take it you have visited the British Museum and taken the Bible Tours then...

message 16: by LovesSong (new)

LovesSong Why are non-christians that do not have an open mind reading this? Most of it requires faith and a connection to the Holy Spirit to unveil the Bible's intent. Why read it and knock it down? If you are not searching for God then back away from His book and stop disrespecting His Word and those of us who have had personal experiences with Him.

message 17: by Eryn (new)

Eryn O'Shaughnessy Saying you don´t like the bible is like saying you don´t like history? That´s ridiculous. History is interesting. I even like reading about mythology, but I find that Christian Mythology is much less interesting than either Greek or Roman Mythology. The book is disjointed, contradictory, boring, and doesn´t explain some of the most ¨famous¨parts of this book (i.e., if they took 2 of each animal onto the ark, how did they feed them all? Wouldn´t the predictors eat the prey? Why were sea creatures spared from this punishment?). I also don´t believe in Santa, but loved Twas the night before christmas.

message 18: by Mina (new) - added it

Mina I don't have time to read all the comments people wrote on here- but is the thing you said about Shakespeare translating some parts of the Bible a fact? That really interests me- could you please give more info on that- or share a website or book which gives light to that if it be true :) thank you!!

Philippe Jardin It is rubbish

message 20: by Td (new)

Td Use your head dummy. I've been handed 15 bibles in the past year and a half and if wiped my ass with the contents of every last bullshit page. The 50 I've been givin in my life contribute to that huge number you're mentioning. It has nothing to do with me purchasing it. The reason that number of copies "printed", not "sold", is so high is because brainwashed losers like you and your church friends print millions each year and try to "save" the rest of us by forcing the "word of god" down others' throats. Get a clue dummy. The world will be a tad smarter when you're 6 feet under.

message 21: by Lilian (new) - added it

Lilian Would you say the same for a sacred book of any other religion?