Rene's Reviews > Little Bee

U 50x66
Aug 29, 2011

bookshelves: novels, book-club-recommendations
Read from August 27 to 29, 2011

This poignant story deals with issues of Nigerian civil war atrocities, immigration, and marriage fidelity. Living in the Washington D.C. area with many immigrants from countries such as Mongolia, El Salvador and others, I am aware of their respect/fear for ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement. I wish it were easier for them to enter the U.S.
The story of Little Bee illuminates the horror and fear felt by people in some parts of the world. I wish it were not that way.

I was disappointed in the marriage story. There did not seem to be a lot of evidence of effort on either Sarah or Andrew's part to build a strong marriage. Oh, maybe the trip effort counted. . . but barely. The affair happened so quickly and effortlessly and was tossed off as a "small indiscretion", about which Sarah didn't really seem to feel guilty.

I enjoyed the alternating chapters with viewpoints from Sarah and Little Bee. It was an effective way to tell their story.

So, the story gets a "4" from me primarily because it elicited strong feelings and reactions to what was happening and was well written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.